Bow sights, or bow scopes, are tools that are generally mounted on a bow riser so that you are able to increase accuracy when aiming. Bow sights are similar to the sights that are used on guns. They are designed to assist hunters to obtain a higher degree of control when they are aiming their arrows at prey or game. As with any hobby or weapon, hitting a target with accuracy and precision takes time and practice. Sighting with your bow will maximize your chance of hitting the target and allows you to compensate for issues like gravitational arrow drop over distances and natural disturbances from the firing of the arrow and wind. Below is a summary of some of the best archery sights available on the market today as well as some basic features included in today’s bows.
The best bow sights are incredibly beneficial for archery enthusiasts and hunters. When you think about it, the whole focus of archery and bow shooting is to be as accurate as you can be; whether you are a target shooter who is hoping for accurate shots from a number of distances or whether you are a hunter who is looking to make a clean and painless kill.
|3 Pin Bow Sight||4.3||$|
|Truglo Carbon Hybrid 5-Pin Sight||3.5||$$|
|Truglo Brite-Site Xtreme 5-Pin||4.1||$$|
|Wizard 3 Pin Fiber Optics Bow Sight||3.6||$|
|Archer Xtreme Head Hunter Micro||4.3||$$$|
Here we have summarized some of the best bow sights around, whether they are fixed or adjustable, one-pin or many, you are certain to find a bow sight that meets your needs:
Common Bow Sight Types
If you are not constrained by budgetary requirements then the variety of bow sight types out there are limitless. The higher the price tag, the more sophistication you can expect from your sight. The bow sight you choose will be one that needs to work for you and your application, the following is a brief summary of the most common bow sight varieties on the market:
- Fixed Pin: This is probably the most popular sight used among hunters. They are extremely accurate and simple to set up. The majority of fixed pin sights will allow for a number of pins to be added at varying yardages. In general, you do not want to exceed 4 pins as you will start encountering blind spots and other hindrances. Many hunters and enthusiasts will set a pin for 20 to 25 yards and then one for long shots and one for shorter. Once you have set your pins, it is time to learn how to compensate for the between shots. This takes practice.
- Moveable Pin: Often times a moveable pin sight will only have one pin. These sights are increasing in popularity and allow the user to adjust their pin for whatever distance they require. In order to use this type, you will need to practice gauging the distance between you and your game or target. One issue that people will encounter is that you will need to make adjustments to your pin and in real life hunting situations, your game will generally be in a constant state of movement.
- Pendulum: Hunters who primarily hunt from tree stands find these sights helpful. The sight often has a pin that is mounted on a pendulum inside the sight bracket. This allows for increased accuracy when shooting from a downward angle. These sights have to be carefully calibrated in order to offer a hunter proper accuracy. They are not ideal for beginners.
- Target: These sights are generally used during competitive archery. They are considered to be the most accurate sights out there. They are not cheap. Their size is not practical for hunting applications. They are designed to be used with other devices like single pins or lasers in order to increase accuracy. They will also have adjustments for height and wind.
Best Bow Sights Reviews
3 Pin Bow Sight
This is an incredibly affordable sight with a 4.2-star rating on Amazon. It has also been deemed as a best seller. The sight is made out of aluminum with a fiber optic diameter of 0.029 inches. The sight is easily adjusted to accommodate both right and left-handed shooters with markings for windage and elevation. Happy customers are very pleased with the price to quality ratio of this sight. The unit has been used for multiple applications and repeatedly without wavering inaccuracy. Users are pleased with this sight for both target shooting and hunting. Customers who were unsatisfied with this sight complained that it could not be installed on their bow with some users having their sight break after under 20 hours of use.
TRUGLO Carbon Hybrid 5 Pin Sight
Truglo offers their “tru-fusion hybrid technology” in order to combine carbon composites with aluminum for a wonderful strength-to-weight ratio. The hybrid construction is meant for durability as well as a “true-touch” coating that will end up transferring fewer vibrations in your shots. The 5 metal pins have long fibers. The bracket is reversible and has a multitude of mounting holes. The sight also comes with a push-button light. This sight has earned itself a 4.9-star rating and is affordably priced. Every customer who has purchased this sight is happy with it. Customers remark about the lightweight, bright pins, price, and adjustable pin light.
Truglo Brite-Site Xtreme 5-Pin
This affordable sight carries with it a 3.9-star review. The Truglo Brite-Site Xtreme was designed with a large circular field of view that has a 2” inner diameter on the aperture. The pin guard is made of a lightweight composite. The level has two vertical bars and the shooter’s ring is glow-in-the-dark. This fully adjustable sight is able to be used for both right and left-handed shooters. The Brite-Site Xtreme is designed for tool-less usage and is pre-marked for windage and elevation. Customers, in general, are very pleased with this sight. They are happy with the cost, ease of use and adjustment, value, solid mounting, and effectiveness. One frequent complaint is that it is easy to forget that your light is left on and it will burn out the batteries quickly. When you need to replace the batteries they can be difficult to locate.
Wizard 3 Pin Fiber Optics Archery Bow Sight
The Wizard 3 Pin Fiber Optics Archery Bow Sight is another extremely cost-effective. Customer reviews have it sitting at a 4.5 star rating. The lightweight design doesn’t add much weight to the bow and its bright fiber-optics assist you when it comes to accuracy and honing in on a target regardless of lighting conditions. The fiber optic pins are .029” and do not obstruct the sight visibility. The sight has a contrasting glow ring in order to allow you to remain focused. Customers have rated this unit highly indicating that it is a great quality to price ratio but they recommend the purchase of a light with it.
Archer Xtreme Head Hunter Micro
Every single customer that has purchased the Archer Xtreme Head Hunter Micro Xtreme Bow Sight has given it a 5.0-star review making it one of the best archery sights in its price range. This precision tool is well worth the price. The Head Hunter Micro Xtreme Bow Sight is an easily and quickly set up sight that offers rock star performance. The sight is lightweight and durable and according to customer reviews, the best in its class. Customers who are both right and left-handed are praising the quality of this sight, loving its versatility and adjustability. They are pleased with the aesthetic appeal and the LED light with a push button on/off switch. The item ships quickly and customers are more impressed than they expect when it comes to the quality and the size of the pins. Customers were able to start shooting bullseyes within 10 minutes of installation.
Axcel Archery Sights AccuTouch Carbon Pro Sight with X-41 Scope .019
The Axel AccuTouch Carbon Pro Sight has earned itself a 5.0-star rating on Amazon. This is a single pin adjustable sight that has a clicking system when adjusting for specified distances. The sight tape is 45 degrees with 1st, 2nd and 3rd axis adjustments and it comes with an Axel x-41 scope. Although Amazon customers were reviewers of few words, there is definite satisfaction with this unit’s precision, ease of setup and use as well as its light weight.
Trophy Ridge Driver Slider Sight 1-Pin
The Trophy Ridge Driver Slider Sight is a single pin sight that is rated at 4.1 stars with an affordable price tag. The Trophy Ridge includes a sight light and has an ultra bright .029” fiber optic pin. It has a bubble level and an adjustable indicator pin. Because of its nylon bushings, there is no metal-to-metal contact allowing for quiet, smooth movement. The customers who love this product are satisfied with its easy adjustments and installation as well as the price and quality.
They are happy about the accuracy, performance and sight visibility. Customers who were unsatisfied indicated that the sight broke on them quickly, came with missing parts or that the Trophy Ridge customer service was unacceptable.
7 pins .019″ Bow Sight with Micro Adjust Detachable Bracket LED Sight Light
This sight has earned itself a 4.8-star rating on Amazon with a reasonable price tag. Its 2” diameter housing offers an enlarged field of view to house its seven .019” pins. The Create Linkool-less design ensures ease of installation and uses while the detachable reversible bracket offers greater vertical adjustability. The bubble level allows for more precise shooting. Customers are entirely satisfied with this unit, claiming they were overwhelmed by the quality and were pleasantly surprised by the price to quality ratio. Many customers feel that the quality matches that of the more expensive sights. Others boast about the pin quality, ease of use, material, lightweight, and cost.
What Makes The Best Archery Sight?
Let’s examine some of the main components and features that your sight will have:
- Fiber Optics: When it comes to target shooting and hunting, fiber optic cables have been put to good use as a sighting mechanism. The fiber optic cable has a small, bright tip that makes a great aiming point. Regardless of the time of day, the tip of the cable will stand out clearly. More often than not sight pins are on average a half inch to two inches of cable. Although pins come in a variety of sizes, the smallest being 0.19”, the majority of bowhunters prefer a moderately sized .029” pin.
- Bubble Levels: The majority of sights today come with a bubble level integrated into the unit. This will allow you to keep your bow perfectly level. Compound bow shooters will typically want a perfectly level bow. When it comes to choosing a sight with a bubble level, it is important to ensure that it is able to be utilized for your dominant hand.
- Gang Adjustments: This is a feature that will allow you to move all pins at once. Gang adjustments are a great feature to have if you would like the ease of use and setup. When a sight lacks this feature it is often more difficult to setup and adjusts because you have to adjust each pin individually for both elevation and windage.
- Pin Gaps: The newest archery buzz phrase is a “zero pin gap”. As bows become faster, the spacing between pins gets tighter. If you purchase a speedy bow, you may need to consider purchasing a sight that advertises itself as “zero pin gap”.
- Aluminum vs. Plastic: More often than not, sights are made of aluminum. Aluminum is rust-proof, lightweight and readily available. With the assistance of CNC machining, sights can be manufactured with precision and intricacy. When you have a sight that is all aluminum, you can expect to pay over $50 at least. This is why many sights are both aluminum and plastic. Modern polymer sights dispel the old concerns of durability and can offer weight savings. As with many things, you get what you pay for.
- Lights: Many sights offer a secondary light source in order to illuminate the pins. Sometimes this is a battery operated LED light while other times you will see a chemical light stick. While some sights have this feature included, many manufacturers view it as an add-on. You can easily mount the sight light into a pre-drilled opening on the outer housing of the sight. Some manufacturers have opted to infuse their pins with minute amounts of radioactive tritium or a powder that is phosphorescent. The tritium pins will often glow for upwards of 10 years with no need for batteries. Phosphorescent pins work more like a glow in the dark addition.
There is a multitude of high-quality bow sights available on the market today in varying price categories. It is not difficult to locate the exact type that you need. Whether you are an avid hunter who is looking to ensure that you are making a clean and painless kill, a competition target shooter who wants to hit that bullseye marker every time or are just beginning with your first bow and wanting to practice with your accuracy, hopefully this content was able to steer you in the right direction when it comes to choosing the bow sight that will meet your requirements.
Related Post & Buyer’s Guide
- Brightest Tactical Flashlight Review
- Handheld GPS Review
- Night Vision Goggles 2018
- Hunting Knife 2018 List