Columbia Men’s Bugaboot Plus III Omni Cold-Weather Boot
As the name implies, the Columbia Men’s Bugaboot is a heavy duty boot that’s perfect for cold weather applications. The Bugaboot Plus III looks great and with their excellent insulation, they’ll be able to carry you through the coldest of hunting grounds.
- Very durable
- Sports a thick rubber sole
- Has great insulation for cold weather wear
- Comfortable to wear
- They’re not the most waterproof hiking boots on the market
- Ankle-high cold-weather boot with waterproof seam-sealed construction featuring Omni-Heat reflective lining with 200g insulation
- Techlite lightweight midsole for long lasting comfort, superior cushioning, and high energy return
- Omni-Grip non-marking traction rubber outsole
- upper material is combination of leather, nylon, webbing and metal hardware
Lowa Men’s Tibet GTX Trekking Boot
Coming in as our best trekking boot for hunting applications, the Lowa Men’s Tibet GTX is perfect for hunters that plan of trekking a lot throughout the hunting season. With its speed-lacing tech, padded tongue, padded collar, and GreTex lining which seamlessly ensures waterproof abilities, the GTX boots are perfect for trek-hunting.
- Very comfy to wear with padded collar and tongue
- Comfortably handles off-road terrain
- Easy and fast lacing system
- Not suitable for hot weather uses because it doesn’t offer very good ventilation
- Lace-up hiking boot featuring D-ring eyelets and speed-lacing hardware
- Padded tongue and collar
- Seamless, waterproof Gore-Tex lining
- Climate Control perforated lining manages moisture and heat
- C4 anatomically contoured tongue
Danner Men’s Pronghorn Realtree Xtra 1200G
With the ability to easily carry you through damp terrain to even the roughest of environments, the Realtree Xtra boots are super versatile, making it one of the most popular hunting boot options that the market currently has on offer. These boots have dual-texture fabrics which ensure durability and comfort. With its thick rubber sole as well as all leather caps on the heel and toe zones, these really are all-weather and all-terrain shoes.
- Can handle tough terrain
- Very durable design
- Includes Gore-Tex waterproof lining to keep your feet dry
- Features great insulation suitable for cold weather hunting
- Might not be suitable for use during the hotter months due to the thick insulating layer
- GORE-TEX waterproof breathable lining. Thinsulate Ultra Insulation
- Rugged hardware for secure fit and long lasting performance. Cushioning open-cell OrthoLite footbed
- EVA cushioning and shock absorbing midsole. Thermoplastic PU shank
- TERRA FORCE platform offers lightweight performance and stability
- Danner Pronghorn outsole offers superior traction on rugged terrain
LaCrosse Men’s Alphaburly Pro 18” Hunting Boot
Arguably one of the most versatile rubber hunting boots out there, the LaCrosse Men’s Alphaburly Pro 18” Hunting Boot is hugely popular, and with good reason. The high-quality imported leather material is perfect for keeping your feet dry in those marshlands and the wettest parts of the woods.
- Features neoprene linings which keep your feet and legs cool
- Has an adjustable gusset on the rear side for adjustability and optimal comfort levels
- Tops can be folded down to reduce total height
- Not sufficiently insulated, which means these boots cannot be worn in the coldest hunting environments
- Hand-laid premium rubber over a 3.5mm neoprene core for flexible, waterproof, scent-free comfort. Weight- 5.5 lbs per pair
- Embossed liner increases air circulation inside the boot, wicks moisture and is quick drying
- Active Fit with adjustable neoprene gusset for easy on/off and a secure, comfortable fit on foot
- Multilayer rubber on the toe and heel plus a double-layer vamp of added support and durability
- 1600G Thinsulate Ultra insulation
Irish Setter Men’s Elk Tracker WP Insulated Boot
Irish Setter is a big brand in the game of hunting boots, and their Elk Tracker WP Insulated Boot is no exception to their high-quality rule. We reckon these are some of the most durable and rugged hunting boots that money can buy manufactured with leather uppers and a durable synthetic sole, these boots can be used in just about any environment and condition.
- Feature GoreTex linings for waterproof capabilities
- Offer a secure and very comfortable fit
- Sports a Bulls-Eye Air Bob sole which ensures better traction in rough terrain
- They’re expensive
- 12-inch hunting boot with 600 gram 3M Thinsulate insulation and waterproof GORE-TEX fabric lining
- Removable comfort cork EVA footbed with memory foam
- ScentBan technology to kill odor-causing bacteria
- Goodyear leather welt construction and moisture wicking nylon lining
- Counter - Heel molded
Buying Guide: How to Find the Best Hunting Boots
Thinking about buying that pair of ‘extra-thick-insulation’ boots that your neighbor was proudly showing off last week? Why are you considering that pair, if you’re next expedition, is out in the desert? We know that’s a ridiculous example, but you need to keep in mind that all boots have different purposes and perks. Here’s how to do your research and only purchase what you’ll need most…
- Do You Need Tall Boots?
Hunting boots and their heights vary tremendously. When you’re considering how tall your boot has to be, you’re going to be looking at the upper section, which runs from the base of the insole to the top of the boot. Don’t go all the way up to 17 inches tall with your boot if you’re a tall guy because, in the end, this might end up affecting your mobility.
- How Do You Want To Put Them On?
The method used for putting on and taking off your hunting boots will be very important, so this is a crucial consideration to keep in mind. Some hunting boots lace up with safety systems in place, and some of them go on and off again with the utmost ease, almost like the slip-on. In most cases, however, hunting boots with laces are the most practical option and they also tend to be much more versatile.
- How Heavy Should Your Boots Be?
Your perfect boot may be in the weight class of 20 ounces, or it may be as heavy as 5 pounds. The matter of how much the best hunting boot weighs can only be answered with: it depends on. It might also not seem like a deal breaker, but not being able to drag your feet around the next bend will be. Try out a few different weight classes before you stick to one, and keep in mind that some soles of boots will collect mud making them even heavier to walk with.
- How Durable Should The Best Hunting Boots Be?
Undoubtedly, hunting boots should last and last. Season after season, you want your boots carrying you through whatever terrain you throw at them. To determine whether or not a pair of hunting boots is durable, have a look at the materials they are constructed with and whether or not they feature strong outer casings. Your boots will have to be able to stand up to mud and water, that’s a given, but do keep the task you have in mind for them close to your decision-making heart as well.
- The Deal with Insulation
There’s no doubt about it: your boots will have to be insulated to protect your feet in the coldest of weather. You also have to ensure that the boots you have your eye on are able to keep your feet cool during the warmer months; this will ensure they’re suitable for all-season wear.
If you plan on moving around as little as possible, purchase a pair of boots that have a thick layer of insulation fitted in them. On the other hand, a thinner layer of insulation is recommended for activities that involve a lot of walking, allowing for proper ventilation as you trek through the wilderness.
Generally speaking, hunting boots come available in 3 different insulation forms. These include:
Uninsulated up to 200 grams – These boots are great for frequent movers as they offer little or no insulation.
400-800 grams – These boots are the midway mark and tend to be perfect for most hunters, except for folks that brave the coldest of conditions and don’t move around a lot.
1kg + – These boots are perfect for hunters that don’t walk around a lot because they offer the thickest layers of insulation.
What Do You Have in Mind for Your Hunting Boots?
We classify hunting boots into 4 distinct categories, both of which have different functionalities and abilities. Here are your options:
- Upland Boots – These are also referred to as hiking boots, and they were made with comfort in mind. You’ll use upland boots if you plan on hiking a lot throughout your hunting trips.
- High Country Boots – Heavy terrains and activities are what upland high country boots were designed for. They can take you higher, steeper, and through rougher terrain.
- Over Boots – These are the kind of boots that are slipped over your regular hunting boots to give you extra protection and warm during the coldest of days.
- Rubber Boots – Key for hunting expeditions that run through swamplands, rubber boots are waterproof and will protect your feet during the wettest of times.
Having read through the important considerations for finding the good hunting boots, it should be clear that each and every factor we listed here can impact your final choice. Beyond their actual fit, just how usable your hunting boots are, tends to be much more important in finding the best foot gear for your hunting game.
Now it’s time we showed you what your actual options are. Take a look at our reviews of good hunting shoes for 2020. All you have to do is decide which ones to try out, and hopefully, one of these will be your perfect fit and functionality.
We’ve shown you exactly what you need to keep in mind when purchasing a new pair of hunting boots, and we’ve explained why you need to test out a few different variants before making a final decision. We’ve also shown you 5 of the best hunting boots currently available on the market, and given you information on their best and worst aspects. We sincerely hope that this post has aided you in your quest for finding the perfect pair of hunting boots and that you’re now ready to take to the streets with the goal of investing in nothing but the best!
Hunting Gears & Buyer’s GuideREAD MORE +
Best Hunting Boots Review 2020
Your definitive guide to finding and investing in the best pair of hunting boots you’ll ever own. There’s no denying this fact: The Best hunting boots make up one-third of a brilliant hunter’s tale. As hunters, we’re all well aware of the fact that we need a LOT of gear in order to ensure our hunts are as successful ...
READ MORE +